- When is the Heartbeat International Annual Conference?
April 14-16, 2020 in Seattle, Washington. For those traveling overnight, we strongly recommend that you plan to arrive at least the day before to accommodate to account for time differences and jet lag. If you receive a scholarship, we expect that you participate from the beginning of the conference through the close of the conference.
- How many scholarships does Heartbeat make available?
Heartbeat typically provides 15-25 scholarships at some level to its Annual Conference. Demand for scholarships is generally greater than what we can provide, and Heartbeat provides as many as we possibly can, based on what the budget will allow in that conference year. Furthermore, typically, we award one scholarship per organization. You must apply so that you can be considered for a scholarship.
- I can’t wait to attend! What is next?
Check to see if you are currently affiliated with Heartbeat directly, or with one of our Joint Affiliation Partners (JAP). Our JAPs are Africa Cares for Life, Association for Life of Africa, Be’Ad Chaim, Canadian Association of Pregnancy Services, Centros de Ayuda para la Mujer, Movimento per la Vita, Pregnancy Help Australia, Pregnancy Support Services of Asia, and ProVida You can check your affiliation status by asking your JAP, and if you are affiliated with Heartbeat directly you can log in to your account. If you find that your status is in grace or expired, you will need to reaffiliate. In that case, contact the JAP or click here to reaffiliate.
- I checked and my affiliation is current, now what?
- Does calling and emailing help the selection process?
No. In fact, calling and emailing several times slows down the entire process. You will receive an acknowledgment of receipt of your application. After that, the International Program Specialist will review and check the information submitted for each application. With few exceptions, applications are considered on a first come first serve basis.
- When is the application process closed?
It will be a hard close on January 30, 2020. That means that no applications will be accepted after January 30, 2020. Do not delay if you want your application to be considered. Late applications will not be considered.
- When will decisions be made?
Decisions will be made by February 7, 2020 and emails will be sent out to individuals who have received scholarships as well as stating the level and conditions of the scholarship.
- What do you mean by level and conditions of scholarship?
Some recipients will receive a scholarship for registration (which includes all hotel provided meals for the duration of the conference) for the Annual Conference only (a $619.00 USD value). Some may receive a scholarship for registration and hotel accommodation (Value $1,200.00). Recipients will need to provide evidence of confirmed travel reservations and/or hotel accommodations. If those are not provided within a month of notice of the scholarship grant, the scholarship offer may/will be revoked and offered to another applicant.
Therefore, we recommend that anyone desiring to attend the Annual Conference seek permission from your Board now and begin the fundraising process for travel and hotel.
- Does Heartbeat pay for VISA applications?
No, but we will provide letters of invitation to be used in the VISA application process if you indicate on your application you need a letter.
- Once selected, what is required of scholarship recipients?
Scholarship recipients are expected to:
- Understand English at a level sufficient for keynotes and workshops;
- Attend conference workshops and keynote sessions.
- Be willing to share a hotel room with other international guests.
- Grant permission for their pictures and stories to be used by Heartbeat.
- Following the conference, give feedback to Heartbeat’s International Program Specialist regarding their experience;
- Be able to communicate regularly via e-mail with Heartbeat’s International Coordinator in the months and weeks prior to the conference to answer questions, arrange preparations, and provide confirmation of travel itinerary. (Failure to provide this information in a timely manner may jeopardize a scholarship which may be offered to those who can confirm their travel information.)
- How many days should I plan for attendance?
Typically, Heartbeat international scholarship recipients arrive at the conference location in America one or two days prior to the conference. This allows the recipient time to rest and acclimate to the time change as well as an opportunity for fellowship among the international group and Heartbeat staff.
Internationals may have arranged or may create additional opportunities while in the U.S. for the Heartbeat conference. Heartbeat encourages this (as long as it does not conflict with attendance at the conference) but does not assume responsibility for any expenses, transportation, travel, etc.
If the scholarship offered includes hotel lodging, it is only for this time frame and the conference itself. Any additional time before or after the Heartbeat conference (for travel reasons or otherwise) is not Heartbeat’s expectation or responsibility.
- Who is the contact person for scholarship requests and questions?