Jor-El Godsey was named Heartbeat International’s president in early January 2016, becoming just the second president in our 45-year history, following current Board Chairman Peggy Hartshorn, Ph.D.
While Jor-El is certainly a familiar face among pregnancy help and other pro-life leaders—it’s hard not to be when you’ve been committed to the same work for over 30 years—there may be a handful of things you don’t know about our new President.
On a scale of novice to expert, where do you rank on your “Jor-El” trivia? Check out the following fast facts and find out!
- Before Jor-El was named Heartbeat’s Vice President in 2006, he had been involved in leading local pregnancy centers for about 18 years.
- Pregnancy help is so intertwined with Jor-El’s personal life that he even met his wife, Karen, at a volunteer training at a local center. (Watch him tell that story here.)
- Jor-El has two sons and a daughter: Jared, Joel, and Kara. Kara is the middle child.
- The name Jor-El is actually a reference to Superman’s father in DC Comics—all three of his kids are named after other Superman characters, including Jared, who’s middle name is Kal-El.
- Jor-El is not a native Floridian, but he grew up there and still follows Gators football and Marlins baseball.
- One of Jor-El’s passions is helping with his church’s children’s ministry.
- Jor-El is a big fan of Les Miserables, Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and of course, Superman.
- If Jor-El wrote an autobiography, he says he’d call it, “What’s He Doing Here?” We know that Jor-El is the “he,” but where “here” is, we’ll just have to wait for the book to find out!
- Occasional sightings of Jor-El on his razor scooter are fairly common in the office hallways on Fridays.
How did you do?